Wild Wild West

IMG_97312

The quilt was the western quilt I mentioned in the Just Keep Swimming post a few weeks ago (https://catherinecureton.wordpress.com/2013/05/06/just-keep-swimming/). It is my first applique quilt and the beginning of a new obsession! I didn’t really have to learn applique for a western quilt (because there are about a million western quilts floating around on the internet), but I came across one with an image similar to this and I fell in love! The image needed some tweaking up and the original was way too small to really see much, so I enlisted my artist in residence (Spencer) to help redraw/fix the scene into something more workable for me. Then I followed the usual steps for tracing out pieces onto Wonder under, ironing the scene together and sewing the pieces down. I had some fun with texture by doing the horse and the chaps out of a suede-like fabric and leaving a loose fringe on the chaps. I used free motion quilting to sew the quilt together and get all of the fun texture in the background.

Tada!

IMG_97282

And Bonus! Baby onesies! I think I like these as much as I like the quilt (especially the one with the butt pockets)!

IMG_9743

IMG_97452

Just Keep Swimming!

IMG_97162

This project was an experiment to say the least! My Granny wanted baby quilts & onesies to give as gifts to some friends who were having babies and she wanted them to match the nursery themes. One wanted western and the other wanted Nemo (you’ll see the western one later).

I couldn’t find examples of Nemo themed quilts ANYWHERE and embroidering enough Nemo patterns on my machine for a quilt would have been too much of a hassle because of how small the hoop is….so I decided to learn applique! Technically this is my second applique quilt (because I finished the western one first) but I am no expert. I also had no pattern…

What I found is that I LOVE applique! It is so flexible design wise and it is actually pretty easy. To make my pattern I found an image of a finding Nemo fleece blanket that I liked and searched coloring books to find the characters in similar poses. Then I brought the images into Photoshop and re sized/re adjusted to get the scene the way I wanted it. I printed the characters out on the printer at home and pieced them together with tape. Then I used my creative judgement to trace the pieces I needed out onto Wonder under fusible backing. From there it’s a long tutorial on how to applique that I won’t bore you with. Basically the Wonder under makes the fabric into an iron on transfer, so you iron it down then sew around the edges to make it permanent. There is no magical stitch that everyone likes or perfect way to do it. I used black thread and did a satin stitch (very short zig-zag) to make it look like cartoon outlines.

Also, you can’t see it here as well, but I had a lot of fun playing with free motion quilting to add water and other textures to the background

Tada! I would improve a few things for the next round, but I’m not upset with the results at all!

IMG_9712

And bonus! Baby onesies to match!

IMG_9735

Baby Stuff

My friend Lori  is about to pop! And I wanted to sew her something that would be both cute and useful when the baby comes. They’re waiting to be surprised, so I had the extra challenge of making something gender neutral.

The first thing I made was a baby swaddle. I’ve heard that they’re very useful for bundling babies up when they’re really little, and I’d seen them used at the hospital before. The free downloadable PDF can be found here (yes in MAKE magazine of all places!) http://blog.makezine.com/craft/craft_pattern_podcast_snuggler/

I lined it with a soft knit instead of fleece because it will be Texas summer during the months the baby can use it.

IMG_9596

IMG_9605IMG_9610

The next project was for when the baby gets a bit older. I’ve heard several moms mention how great grocery cart covers are for babies (especially while teething), but couldn’t find a pattern I liked anywhere. They were either over complicated or called for waaay too much fabric (like 5yds). So, I improvised. I went the HEB to measured their seats (the biggest in town) and made sure that 1 yd would cover the entire hole (remembering that the fabric has to go down the sides and back up). It did, so I took my yard of cotton and my yard of fleece (2 yards total), laid them together, rounded the corners and sewed them together so that I could run elastic around the entire outside of the circle. Then I went back to HEB and used pins to mark where the leg holes needed to be and added those. Sorry if that sounds confusing, but feel free to message me if you’d like it explained more in depth or with photos). I also added toy clips and pockets to keep the pacifier and other toys off the floor.

The only thing I wasn’t happy with was that you couldn’t see very much of the pretty yellow fabric when I put it in the buggy, but technically it is reversible and I put toy clips on both sides.

IMG_9578 IMG_9585 IMG_9593

Barnyard Birthday Bash!

It had been a while since I’d done a big cake, so I jumped at the chance to help my friend Emily by making her son’s first birthday cake! Since it was a barnyard theme, I got to try something new and sculpt all of these adorable little animal babies! For his smash cake (cake all of his own that he could baby drool on) I made a little hay bale with his name and a baby cow. IMG_9706 IMG_9702

To continue the barnyard theme I appliqued these adorable overalls for him to wear! IMG_9630 IMG_9638 IMG_9632

%d bloggers like this: